A wee hunt yesterday same beach again.

Home / Forums / General Discussion / A wee hunt yesterday same beach again.

• Author
    • Well it sure looks as if we've emptied it.The hits were very few and far between,and we really had to work at it to get anything.Fortunately we have a pretty good idea where all the big deep iron is.So it does save us wasting time on it.Our joint total was £5:01 = $8:24 again it was a biting cold wind.So every hunt there has only been a 3 hour hunt.Our totals for the hunts there are around £40 which works out about roughly the same as our hunts at this time of year for the previous 3 years. 😉 😉

• at #2697

Still good you are getting out – be awhile yet for us. When the time comes I usually get tuned up by hitting some ball parks for clad before I head back into the old places.  The ball parks thaw out a little sooner because the sun gets to them. The old places in the woods will often hold snow until end of April or middle of May.

• yes that is cool that you are still able to get out, good thing you are getting it worked out I was looking for cheap air line tickets. LOLSo I seen you do get nice jewelry finds but look like lately you are getting mostly coins and do you dig much junk there?Do you have many others detecting around you? I know the beaches here get hit like 5 times every morning by 8 am so finds are slim unless you know where to look.

• Hey Steve,on that particular beach there are only 4-5 others doing it fairly regular.It's a pretty good beach for lack of trash in the winter,occasionally some screw tops, small bits of copper sheeting,and sometimes very rusty pennies some 1/4 inch thick.I mostly hunt in all metal, or sometimes in disc mode at disc 4,also dig targets down to about 18 our coins come in at 25, 36, 46,and 55-61, our £2 coins are 68-69.Silver is supposed to come in at 80-90.But there seems to be an extreme shortage of silver n gold,especially after the start of those gold n silver buying companies who advertise on TV and rip folk off.I also think the beach goers are wising up as they see other detectorists on the beaches. So their not wearing good jewelry on the beach any more.OK, I know there has to be an occasional exception to the rule.Scotland is usually too cold for folks to pose on the beaches.But we always go to Cornwall for our vacations, it's 600 miles south andalways warmer down there coupled with beautiful beaches, and richer beach goers.

• at #2700

That's the same with us Ian. We go south about 7oo miles but that puts us in the serious beach hunter region.  I have to use some old tricks to even find a signal. The new drops are usually pretty well cleaned out by the time we get there.  It is a little more interesting up where I live because we have old sites like lumber camps and coal mine towns that still give up some nice finds. Not always a lot of them but enough to keep you looking. Biggest drawback now is my age. I don't stoop as well as I used to  :'(

• That's the same with us Ian. We go south about 7oo miles but that puts us in the serious beach hunter region.  I have to use some old tricks to even find a signal. The new drops are usually pretty well cleaned out by the time we get there.  It is a little more interesting up where I live because we have old sites like lumber camps and coal mine towns that still give up some nice finds. Not always a lot of them but enough to keep you looking. Biggest drawback now is my age. I don't stoop as well as I used to  :'(

I spread my legs very wide and bend from the waist.  😉 😉The local distillery have taken a lot of good hunting land away from us.Where the original owner's kids would have played as children,and also an old flax mill and drying fields.  >:( >:( We no longer have access to these places as security is high all round the distillery.  🙁 🙁What's even worse is their constantly expanding.

• at #2702

Dirt digging has you down on your knees a lot. Gets a little iffy in mid summer when the snakes are out.  I pretty much hunt with my meter when I'm in someones nice yard - call it cherry picking, just digging what is a good signal.  This probably leaves some good targets but it saves the lawn and my creaky old knees and back  😀

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.