Tips and Tricks…continued from old forum!

Home / Forums / General Discussion / Tips and Tricks…continued from old forum!

• Author

This could get loooong! Im bringing over the Tips and Tricks from the old forum… as of this posting is just over 49,000 views.Sooo…without further adeu, here we go!Please continue to add to this post, and lets shoot for over 50,000 views here at the new site!Eu_citzen Rock nerd [img height=125 width=150]https://detectorstuff.com/forum1/uploads/avatars/avatar_30.jpg?dateline=1330117119[/img] Posts: 210 Thanks Given: 9 Thanks Received: 60 in 44 posts Joined: Oct 2009 Reputation: 2 Warning Level: 0% Post: #1 | Tips and tricks Ive learned a few tricks and received a few tips over the years, here is a collection of some of them: How to hunt “hunted out” places: Often people complain about hunted out places, but mostly they just have covered the same areas over and over. They “forget” some harder to reach areas and ignore areas that are harder to dig in. In those areas often it can be worth hunting; maybe the park has a slightly over grown part? Try those harder areas for once, it may be harder but it can be worth it since most humans are lazy so fewer hunt there. Means more goodies for you. However they tend to be smaller areas, so cover them carefully. Use pinpoint to tell approximate size: 1. Find a target look at target ID, make sure no other target is close by to fool you though. 2. If its in the pull tabs/nickel range pinpoint it. 3*. Now do a “+” over it, coins/rings are (mostly) round, pull tabs are not. 4. If you think its a coin/ring DIG. Note for 3* think the shape of a pull tab, it is not round and so the signal will stay slightly longer in one direction this is why I say that you should do a + over it. (It gives you an idea of shape and size) Obviously this should be done SLOWLY with the pinpoint function on, if you do it to quick it will be hard to tell the difference! This does require some practice and is not always easy to tell the difference, listen carefully! It isnt flawless but it works. Iffy signals: If youve got a iffy signal here are a few Ive heard can help you: 1. Dig – Logical dig and see yourself 2. Stomp on the targets location – Pinpoint first then stomp above it, sometimes it clears up a reading. 3. Cut a plug, recheck hole – This has its roots in the halo effect, oxides around a target can fool the detector slightly. Digging around it is supposed to decrease this effect. 4. Slow down – Sometimes theres something close by to fool the detector 5. Play with settings – Adjust to the sites conditions. _______________________________________ Does anyone else have any to add? I might add more as I remember it.

• at #2514

mark jonesin for some tectorin Posts: 2,603 Thanks Given: 520 Thanks Received: 229 in 207 posts Joined: Sep 2009 Reputation: 6 Warning Level: 0% Post: #2 | RE: Tips and tricks Great thread idea EU! Lets build this one up and Ill copy it over to the main site. Im a “target circler” Ill hit a deeper target, then do almost 360 degree sweeps around the target, looking for fairly consistent IDs. Lots of times, IDs that swing wildly are junk…mostly “tight” ones are rings/coins. (If its at fringe depth though…all bets are off! You can only be sure by digging) My current metal detector arsenal… Fisher F75, Fisher CZ3D, Minelab Sovereign, Whites V3, Minelab Explorer 2, Teknetics Delta, Tek Omega, Fisher F5, Garrett “deepseeker”, Fisher F70, Tek G2, Garrett AT Pro

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Detector Stuff. Reason: cleaning up html trash
    • at #2515

Eu_citzen buddy_offline.gif   Rock nerd star.gifstar.gifstar.gif [img height=125 width=150]https://detectorstuff.com/forum1/uploads/avatars/avatar_30.jpg?dateline=1330117119[/img] Posts: 210 Thanks Given: 9 Thanks Received: 60 in 44 posts Joined: Oct 2009 Reputation: 2 Warning Level: 0%  Post: #7RE: Tips and tricks   Well Mark, I usually hit the target on one angle only, if it isn't iffy. Then I might try a few different angles. Troy, Dave, Garbra, DigUpCoins: Thanks. Here's a few more tips: When you have a iffy signal pinpoint it and hover directly over it with the coil. It can stabilize a few signals, especially if they are caused by multiple items next to each other. Don't crank up sensitivity to max in trashy areas, lower it slightly. By lowering it the detector has easier to "see" individual targets. Or use a small coil, then you can increase it. Common guys you've got to have something to share to!!  If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a conclusion.

• at #2516

Dave buddy_offline.gif   Super Moderator star.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gif SM.png avatar_5.jpg Posts: 3,074 Thanks Given: 165 Thanks Received: 340 in 295 posts Joined: Sep 2009 Reputation: 6 Warning Level: 0%  Post: #8RE: Tips and tricks   Another thing you can try on an iffy target and your running some discrimination is to turn it off and run all metal. The detector will have an easier time IDing and pinpointing.  If ya can't find me, your looking in the wrong place.[img alt=[Image: pirate.gif]]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-merv/pirate.gif

• at #2517

dahut buddy_offline.gif   DetectorStuff New Member star.gifstar.gif stimpy.gif Posts: 6 Thanks Given: 0 Thanks Received: 0 in 0 posts Joined: Oct 2009 Reputation: 1 Warning Level: 0%  Post: #10RE: Tips and tricks   They "forget" some harder to reach areas and ignore areas that are harder to dig in. Clive James Clynick calls this "site reading," and in more advanced levels, "terrain reading." It boils down to being able to see a site and recognizing what is outside the obvious. It behooves you to do it everywhere, too, since a detector is hardly a new thing in the world. Many exist and most likely if you can see a spot - then someone else has already spotted it. You gotta be able to "see" what others cannot. 1. Find a target look at target ID, make sure no other target is close by to fool you though. 2. If it's in the pull tabs/nickel range pinpoint it. 3*. Now do a "+" over it, coins/rings are (mostly) round, pull tabs are not. 4. If you think it's a coin/ring DIG. Note for 3* think the shape of a pull tab, it is not round and so the signal will stay slightly longer in one direction this is why I say that you should do a + over it. (It gives you an idea of shape and size) Obviously this should be done SLOWLY with the pinpoint function on, if you do it to quick it will be hard to tell the difference! This does require some practice and is not always easy to tell the difference, listen carefully! It isn't flawless but it works. This will turn you into a "trash hunter" - which is a very good thing. Once you begin to recognize the reposnse from trash, then everything else that responds differently is, by default, good. Some of this depends on the detector, however. Ive noted that processor type detectors generally have a more difficult time with this method. Iffy signals: If you've got a iffy signal here are a few I've heard can help you: 1. Dig - Logical dig and see yourself 2. Stomp on the targets location - Pinpoint first then stomp above it, sometimes it clears up a reading. 4. Slow down - Sometimes there's something close by to fool the detector Id have to say these are the best methods. The stomp trick is not often heard but has much the same effect as digging to disturb the "halo." _______________________________________

• at #2518

dahut buddy_offline.gif   DetectorStuff New Member star.gifstar.gif stimpy.gif Posts: 6 Thanks Given: 0 Thanks Received: 0 in 0 posts Joined: Oct 2009 Reputation: 1 Warning Level: 0%  Post: #17RE: Tips and tricks  

(10-31-2009 06:16 AM)Eu_citzen Wrote: Dahut, Welcome to Detectorstuff. I've never read any of Clive James Clynick's books. So I wasn't aware of that. Regarding the stomping method. I don't know why it isn't heard about so much, maybe it isn't quite accepted yet as a working method.

I think maybe most people just feel kind of goofy doing it! If youve never heard of Clive, you should. He is a real workhorse in the hobby.  David, SC "Curses, foiled again!" DETECTO, ERGO SUM

• at #2519

tink buddy_offline.gif   Super Moderator star.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gif SM.png avatar_32.jpg Posts: 1,126 Thanks Given: 167 Thanks Received: 212 in 175 posts Joined: Oct 2009 Reputation: 9 Warning Level: 0%  Post: #20RE: Tips and tricks   Good post - sometimes just moving your coil away and counting to ten before going back over the target will give you a better read. Even on the beach I still + the target to save some digging. Just moving around the target may give a different read.  Detectors most used - , Sov.GT, Fisher CZ6a, Omega 8000, . Minelab Pro Se

• at #2520

Dave buddy_offline.gif   Super Moderator star.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gif SM.png avatar_5.jpg Posts: 3,074 Thanks Given: 165 Thanks Received: 340 in 295 posts Joined: Sep 2009 Reputation: 6 Warning Level: 0%  Post: #23RE: Tips and tricks   Take notice on the beach, when the sand is freshly brought in and the finds are few and deep most targets will be in a foot print of a walker of jogger.  If ya can't find me, your looking in the wrong place.[img alt=[Image: pirate.gif]]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-merv/pirate.gif

• at #2521

Eu_citzen buddy_offline.gif   Rock nerd star.gifstar.gifstar.gif [img height=125 width=150]https://detectorstuff.com/forum1/uploads/avatars/avatar_30.jpg?dateline=1330117119[/img] Posts: 210 Thanks Given: 9 Thanks Received: 60 in 44 posts Joined: Oct 2009 Reputation: 2 Warning Level: 0%  Post: #24RE: Tips and tricks   Make sure the rod is adjusted so that you have the end of the coil just a few inches from your feet, then you have to go slowly.  If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a conclusion.

• at #2522

Dave buddy_offline.gif   Super Moderator star.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gif SM.png avatar_5.jpg Posts: 3,074 Thanks Given: 165 Thanks Received: 340 in 295 posts Joined: Sep 2009 Reputation: 6 Warning Level: 0%  Post: #25RE: Tips and tricks  

(11-12-2009 03:59 PM)Eu_citzen Wrote: Make sure the rod is adjusted so that you have the end of the coil just a few inches from your feet,

While is a comfortably up right posture, if you have to hunch over to hold the coil level to the soil you won't be swinging too long.  If ya can't find me, your looking in the wrong place.[img alt=[Image: pirate.gif]]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-merv/pirate.gif

• at #2523

Eu_citzen buddy_offline.gif   Rock nerd star.gifstar.gifstar.gif [img height=125 width=150]https://detectorstuff.com/forum1/uploads/avatars/avatar_30.jpg?dateline=1330117119[/img] Posts: 210 Thanks Given: 9 Thanks Received: 60 in 44 posts Joined: Oct 2009 Reputation: 2 Warning Level: 0%  Post: #28RE: Tips and tricks   Mark, That's to cool! Then let's continue. Since winter is soon here it might be worth mentioning that this is the perfect time to do research! Snow, frozen ground etc might keep you from detecting/digging but it certainly can't keep you from researching! So now is the time to do some research. Then during early spring get permissions.  If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a conclusion.

• at #2524

Dave buddy_offline.gif   Super Moderator star.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gif SM.png avatar_5.jpg Posts: 3,074 Thanks Given: 165 Thanks Received: 340 in 295 posts Joined: Sep 2009 Reputation: 6 Warning Level: 0%  Post: #29RE: Tips and tricks   That reminds me of another tip I know a few that didn't follow. When storing your detector, pin pointer, Walkman or anything else that takes batteries...remove the batteries and recharge them..if they are rechargeable, before storing.  If ya can't find me, your looking in the wrong place.[img alt=[Image: pirate.gif]]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-merv/pirate.gif

• at #2525

marcomo buddy_offline.gif   DetectorStuff Member star.gifstar.gifstar.gif Posts: 64 Thanks Given: 0 Thanks Received: 0 in 0 posts Joined: Dec 2009 Reputation: 0 Warning Level: 0%  Post: #30RE: Tips and tricks   Some excellent stuff here. One tip I'd like to share, I use gaffers tape (it doesn't leave any sticky residue when removed) to wrap around and protect the foam handgrip of my detectors.  Pull it tightly as you wrap around the grip to remove the indents and wrinkles.  I put just a touch of superglue at the very end of the tape after I've wrapped it around otherwise the end will fray up fairly quickly.  I know others have done the same thing using bicycle tape. 

• at #2526

marcomo buddy_offline.gif   DetectorStuff Member star.gifstar.gifstar.gif Posts: 64 Thanks Given: 0 Thanks Received: 0 in 0 posts Joined: Dec 2009 Reputation: 0 Warning Level: 0%  Post: #32RE: Tips and tricks   Dave - Gaffers tape seems to hold up well to moisture.  I haven't submerged it or anything, but I've gotten the tape plenty wet and muddy when I've detected in light rain and/or wet muddy conditions where my gloves get covered with mud.  The mud and dirt cleans right off the tape with a moistened rag or whatever you care to use. Since gaffers tape is a cloth tape, it doesn't get slippery when it gets wet. The tape will hold up for a reasonably long period of time, but when it starts getting too worn, frayed or raggedy, you can just remove it cleanly from the handgrip without leaving the usual sticky residue that other tapes leave. You've got to take your time wrapping the tape and stretching it as you go so the tape stays smooth as you wrap it.  It's not cheap tape, a roll costs about $15-20, but one roll will last you a long time.

• at #2527

Dave buddy_offline.gif   Super Moderator star.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gif SM.png avatar_5.jpg Posts: 3,074 Thanks Given: 165 Thanks Received: 340 in 295 posts Joined: Sep 2009 Reputation: 6 Warning Level: 0%  Post: #35RE: Tips and tricks   I just read a couple of treasure hunting articles that had a couple of statements I thought would fit here well. They say much more than the written words. You have habitually think about how to apply what you learn from one treasure hunt to the next. Learn the secrets. But also develop the patience to keep searching. It took Mel Fischer sixteen years to find the $450 million dollar treasure cache, the "Atocha Mother Lode."

• at #2528

tmanly buddy_offline.gif   TOM IN SC star.gifstar.gifstar.gif [img height=79 width=80]https://detectorstuff.com/forum1/uploads/avatars/avatar_193.jpg?dateline=1291579210[/img] Posts: 131 Thanks Given: 0 Thanks Received: 1 in 1 posts Joined: Oct 2010 Reputation: 1 Warning Level: 0%  Post: #37RE: Tips and tricks   The Garrett Pro Pointer has a depth of around 2". When pinpointing and the depth is 2" or less use the pinpointer to located the exact position of the target. If the target is around 3" , you can use the side of the probe, Slide the side of the barrell over the ground and you will hear a churp when over the target. Just an easy way to get an extra inch out of the probe. Tom in SC[hr] The ziplock style sandwitch bag make a quick rain cover for the detector. They come in all sizes and you can get a whole box for the price of one custom cover. Stick one in your pouch for the unexpected.... Tom in SC  DETECTORS I USE AT THIS TIME: MINELAB E-TRAC, RED HEAT XD-17, COINMAX II , GARRETT PRO POINTER

• at #2529

draaiorgel buddy_offline.gif   Super Moderator star.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gif SM.png [img height=85 width=110]https://detectorstuff.com/forum1/uploads/avatars/avatar_214.gif?dateline=1351393537[/img] Posts: 1,030 Thanks Given: 657 Thanks Received: 248 in 185 posts Joined: Nov 2010 Reputation: 5 Warning Level: 0%  Post: #39RE: Tips and tricks   Great tips guys, keep 'em comin'.  I found the stomp trick was a good one when I was learning my first machine Ace 250. But when I really got to know the machine I did it less and less. I also have a wee tip for the Garrett Pro pointer. When working in bark chips, once target had been located with coil, swept from side to side with the side of the pointer, and once on top of the target then pulled the pointer back towards me till the signal stopped, then push forward with the point to pick up the target with fingers only. Kinda like PPn with the concentric coil to get it on the front tip.    Ian n Eileen. HH.

• at #2530

Eu_citzen buddy_offline.gif   Rock nerd star.gifstar.gifstar.gif [img height=125 width=150]https://detectorstuff.com/forum1/uploads/avatars/avatar_30.jpg?dateline=1330117119[/img] Posts: 210 Thanks Given: 9 Thanks Received: 60 in 44 posts Joined: Oct 2009 Reputation: 2 Warning Level: 0%  Post: #40RE: Tips and tricks   A simple way to set maximum sensitivity on the white's bullseye pinpointer: 1/ Locate the target and dig. 2/ Put the "rod" (that detects the metal) on the ground* and start twisting the sensitivity until it starts ringing/vibrating. *Ground should be free of targets 3/ Lower it just so it stops ringing/vibrating 4/ search for the target (5/) If you think your pinpointer is unstable, turn down the sensitivity just a little and try again. It might be worth noting that this, if done correctly, will really make the bullseye a bit sharper then just guessing at which sensitivity to put it. It might require some testing to learn to understand how it behaves when its unstable vs stable, its not like your normal detector.  If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a conclusion.

• at #2531

draaiorgel buddy_offline.gif   Super Moderator star.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gif SM.png [img height=85 width=110]https://detectorstuff.com/forum1/uploads/avatars/avatar_214.gif?dateline=1351393537[/img] Posts: 1,030 Thanks Given: 657 Thanks Received: 248 in 185 posts Joined: Nov 2010 Reputation: 5 Warning Level: 0%  Post: #41RE: Tips and tricks   My best tip is to stick with the machine of your choice for at least 2-3 years. This will give you time to really get to know it and all the different sounds it can make. Then and only then you will become a really good hunter. The problem with most learners is impatience to match people who've had their machines for years. The bad news is it doesn't happen in a few days, a few weeks. or even a few months. If you keep changing machines you have to start from the very beginning again. Every make of machine has it's own sounds and quirks, and will take a long time to understand it.    Ian n Eileen. HH.

• at #2532

Dave buddy_offline.gif   Super Moderator star.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gif SM.png avatar_5.jpg Posts: 3,074 Thanks Given: 165 Thanks Received: 340 in 295 posts Joined: Sep 2009 Reputation: 6 Warning Level: 0%  Post: #42RE: Tips and tricks   Here's one Ian and Eileen reminded me about Travel the road less traveled. OK I know it sounds like the reverse of what we should do but keep in mind the high traffic areas today weren't the same as they were even a couple of years ago. I've seen this happen allot, hunting a field, beach where ever. The easily accessed areas are hunted over and over again, than one guy goes into the brush, on the side of a hill, and one of my personal favorites the vertical edge of a cut. At a group beach hunt I sponsored, so I didn't hunt...just watched, I saw something that had really stuck with me. The top was wide, flat and soft, there was a two foot cut at the high tide line with a two to three foot steep slope below to a wide, hard bottom to the water. We had 8 or 9 hunters there for about three hours. One of the requests was to make drag marks so we could tell what was and wasn't hunted. When the meet was over the top was heavily covered, the bottom was really hit hard, the steep slope had a few passes over it from a turning point in a grid but the upper slope and vertical cut was almost untouched. Since that day I've always made a point to hunt the hard to get to upper edge and run my coil along the vertical edge. I can't say it's been fantastic for finds but I can say I've pulled my share of otherwise missed targets.  If ya can't find me, your looking in the wrong place.[img alt=[Image: pirate.gif]]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-merv/pirate.gif

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.